Pages

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Don't Think.


Don't think. Thinking is the enemy of creativity. You simply 'must do' things. --Ray Bradbury

This is fantastic advice. Too bad it is difficult for me to follow. I spend so much time thinking about writing, studying about writing, reading what other people have written, and watching the performances of people who had to act out something that someone wrote-- well, before I know it, my actual writing is nowhere to be found.

Thinking does put a big barrier in the writing process, at least for first drafts. I forget sometimes that it is a draft-- it's not supposed to be great the first time out. I loved the 4th grader who expained his writing process: "Well, first, I wrote a sloppy copy."

Of course-- Sloppy Copy. It's supposed to be a mess. That's where the feeling comes out, the raw energy when the idea is new and fresh-- and young. The birth of your idea can be painful and messy-- and, well, it doesn't look like it's quite done yet, but you know, this baby is beautiful anyway.

Revision is the time where the writing-- 'your baby' -- grows up.

I'll write about that when I have more to revise!

No comments: