Pages

Friday, July 31, 2009

Substitute Initiation

I received my contributor's copy for My First Year in the Classroom today. Always a nice little boost to see my name in print! Glancing through the other author's bios in the back of the book, I see that I share the pages with some interesting writers and teachers-- very cool.

Getting this book was also a reminder that I have to take chances and just jump, even when I may think that the story won't work for some reason. When I came across the "call for submissions", I didn't think much of it at first, even though I had been substitute teaching for a few months. It seemed like it was for "real" teachers, those who made lesson plans, graded tests, and got to know their students more than I did. But I had a story to share about those first crazy days of subbing, and didn't know where else to send it.

I'm glad I took the leap!


No comments: